Monday, February 14, 2011

Frolicking Fairies for Splitcoast's TLC 312

Oh my ... After a long day at school, stamping was just what the doctor ordered ... However, I don't think his prescriptions said to do the Technique Lover's Challenge over at Splitcoast Stampers today.

The challenge was to create a "Pull Out Shadow Box Card" ... What's that, you say?  Well, here's a tutorial from 2008 from Karen over at Stampingvideos.com on how to create it ... May I make a suggestion ahead of time?  When she says practice with copy paper - Do it, :)

This was my 3rd try.  Thank goodness I didn't put the image inside the box until I was done and pleased with the box.  The image is a digital from The Stamping Boutique, Frolicking Fairies, that I colored with Copics.  I added some yellow Stickles to the flower centers for a pop of sparkle.  It's hard to see, but I also doodled some of the sparklies and little fairies with some clear glitter gel pen. 

The sentiments were created from the computer.  I left the outside a little plain because I wanted the person who gets this card to open it up to a Surprise - hence the sentiments inside.  Because the card is folded and inside a wrap, I kept the dimension inside to a minimum, so once punched, I just sponged around the sentiments before attaching them.

I added a scalloped strip of Basic Grey paper to the outer flaps.  The wrap was made with a strip of celery and the same designer paper on the outer flaps from Basic grey, also scallop punched, but it's difficult to see because of the color of the dp against the celery.  I punched a disk of the same dp and matted on a scalloped circle of garden green.  To that, I finished it off with a pretty cream paper flower.

While I'm loving Basic Grey's designer paper, this may not have been the best choice for all the folds because of it's being heavier duty paper.  I'd recommend a thinner paper - Stampin' Up's would be perfect, or something comparable with 2 sided pattern.

Well, while I did get frustrated a bit, it was still very therapeutic to spend the afternoon working on this card.

Thanks for stopping by for a look-see.
Love to see what you think.

2 comments:

Arts by Sara said...

Beautiful and totally different card! I love it! You did a beautiful job on the image! Have an awesome day! Happy Creating! Sara

Heide said...

This is just amazing! I love what you have done, beautiful papers and Such a lovely surprise inside!