Thursday, June 05, 2014

Collection of Art Journal pages since I started 2 months ago

As referenced in a previous post, I've recently begun art journaling - in actual books instead of doodles and drawings all over my nursing homework with my pencils, highlighters and sharpie fine writers.

April 8th, to be exact ...

This is going to be a long one, since I wanted to just group all my pages I've done so far here to "catch up".  I'm not going to go into much detail about them at this point, like I see on other sites because, quite frankly it would take me too much time ... as well as no one wants to hear about 30 pages of a newbie ... but I will make a few comments here and there ...

My 3rd Journal:


This journal was handmade with a box I snagged from my pantry (note to self: recycle) ... I painted it with a lavendar color and then applied Tim Holtz' Melange tissue paper for strength on the inside and outside.  The book has 5 signatures of 4 pages each, and the pages measure 5x6 inches (because the box was shorter than I thought).  I may add a bit more to it, but I'm not huge on too much texture, have I said that before?  I'm just afraid everything will get smooshed and out of place or come loose.


And here are the pages in it so far ...




This second journal was started in the middle of the first one,
so there's a bit of back & forth going on. 
This journal was made with 140lb watercolor paper cut 9x12 inches.  I used the backing of the pad of paper for the covers, which I also covered with Tim Holtz tissue paper.  So far, I've only applied "art" with modeling paste - not sure on colors yet or if I want to embellish more.  I'm one who's not a huge fan of too much 3D on cards, books and the like, so I tend to go with flatter embellishments.  I used my Bind It All to bind the book ...  I tried to keep it fairly thin, knowing I might be adding some dimension, and with only 6 pages in it so far, it's already near as thick as the rings.  I may have to get a larger set and re-bind it before it's done.

She's one of my favorite actresses,
and I stripped the movies that I love her in.

One of my all time favorite songs, "Brown Eyed Girl" ...

This was for a challenge
(I'll try to remember exactly where and post the link).
The challenge was about what refreshes you.

Heavily inspired by France Papillon ... what a beautiful artist!
This quote is from her husband.

Not huge on pink, but I really like the way this one turned out.
 
This is a big favorite of mine ...
I'm liking the larger pages for certain things, but I seem to plan them out more,
which takes a couple of days from start to finish.

 Okay, here's the 1st album ...
There are a few pages that I really liked, but keep in mind,
I was (am) very new to this, so some are pure crap -
there I said it - but we all have to start somewhere, right?

This album was a moleskein (5x8-ish ??) that I covered with scrapbook paper.  
I'm sitting here trying to decide if I should post the original first
or reverse the order so the last thing you see is the first one I did ...
what to do, what to do? 
Nope, I'll do it in chronological order
starting with the one that I broke my cherry on ...

This is THE ONE - MY VERY FIRST ART JOURNAL PAGE
Lots of acrylic painting

I made those stamps that hang down as well as the corner stripe pieces. 

Another one of my all time favorite songs, "Imagine"
I had some trouble with the pen I had JUST bought - not a happy camper AT ALL!
I like the way John's glasses sit in the corner.

Again, lots of acrylic - with a poem I like ... working on my lettering in the journal.
I've got nice handwriting, but you'd never know it
from looking at these, lol.

Using more stencils here with acrylic - I've discovered that I need MORE ABC stamps

Okay, so I have a lot of songs that I really, really like ...
"I Hope You Dance"
I didn't anticipate that this one was so wordy. 
It almost took over the pages,
but I still had room to decoupage a ballerina dancing.

This is a TOTAL "case" of Vicky Papaioannou's
only hers looks better. 
I didn't have my Pitt big brush pens at this point,
 so the shading looks a bit 'wonky' to me around the pieced squares.


Tried all of my cameras and couldn't get a shot that showed
how pretty the metallic gold paint looked on this

Ugh, not a fan of this one, AT ALL.  Think it might have been my first attempt
with Dylusions - there's definitely a learning curve.

Here's another "Ugh" ... also using Dylusions. 
What I DID like about this page was the way the eyelet stencil looks.
I have some paper eyelet that I could have decoupaged,
but I sealed it instead and used it as a stencil.

I had an egg-shaped cut out of a coneflower,
and then I extended the petals out with paint and whatnots.
This one I like, with the exception of the homemade stencil
 in lower left made from hot glue
Hey, I'm trying a little bit of everything I see.

Hearts had modeling paste through an old brass stencil, then shaded with watercolor.
I LOVE this quote!

Here is where I started watching France Papillon's YouTube videos ...
 
Okay, this is one of my favorites ...
Perhaps because it pays homage to my Rockstar
I'm certainly not a fan of orange AT ALL,
but this turned out pretty good ...
I DO like the message behind the quote
and the old stamp I have of the little girl.

Had a thought in mind of the path leading up the page ...
but not super happy with the outcome.

Another favorite of mind. 
Love my munchkin, can you tell?
  The heart is made of designer paper cut in strips and then woven
before cutting out the heart shape
(It killed me to ct out all those woven edges)
Circles are inspired by France Papillon as well.
 
I really liked this one - could it be it's purple?
Love the quote I found, too

Not sure if I was in a hurry to finish off this journal or what ...
Once again, I tried the Dylusions sprays ...
I'm determined to master them, lol,
even if you see lots of glitchy work until then.
 
As always, thank you for stopping by - Any constructive criticism is welcome ... any thoughts on how I could have gone about some of these pages differently ... feel free to say something, but don't be mean about it.


No comments: